Re: grub freezes at "grub loading."

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: grub freezes at "grub loading."
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 15:03:22 -0600

On Mar 27, 2013, at 2:10 PM, Jad <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Chris Murphy <address@hidden> wrote:
>> And before any of this, make sure the firmware is completely up to date.
>
> Agreed.
> So, back to the original question: provided I do not have a faulty
> memory, do you know what could be causing the freezing of "grub loading."?

No. Could be a firmware bug. Could be a GRUB bug. That this is in CSM-BIOS mode
with GRUB2 sounds more to me like hardware related (you can't get it to boot
anything at all? Not Windows? Not some other distro LiveCD?) but it needs more
data points to be sure. You could try a Fedora 18 x86_64 LiveCD ISO, which when
burned to actual media or dd'd to a USB stick, can boot either EFI or BIOS
computers. When booting EFI, it uses GRUB2 EFI, and when booting BIOS it uses
isolinux. So if it turns out to be a bug in GRUB, and you can't or don't want
to compile your own from current source (although Arch is usually pretty up to
date I think), then maybe you need to try a different boot loader. In that
case, my choice for BIOS would be extlinux, or for EFI rEFInd or gummiboot.

> Any suspicion would do. I am willing to do the research and work on my
> own, I don't need too much hand-holding.
> I am just utterly lost, I have 0% idea how to begin, or even what to look for.

Yeah bootloading took about 2 years off my life. It's dense stuff.

Chris Murphy