Re: gfxmode=auto. how is resolution calculated?

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: gfxmode=auto. how is resolution calculated?
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 16:47:57 -0700

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Carrot Cruncher
<address@hidden> wrote:
> hi. can i ask how the resolution used is calculated when setting the gfxmode
> setting to auto in grub2. i have a laptop where vbeinfo shows the highest

In grub 2.00 I believe that what is used is the highest resolution
supported by VBE (or GOP,UGA, or whatever interface is available) that
is *also* supported by your monitor, as reported in the monitor's EDID
information.

> resolution as being 1920x1080x32 but this isn't what is being used. without

Does your monitor support this resolution?

> hardcoding the resolution, is there a way to configure grub2 to use the
> highest resolution detected? thanks.

Well clearly that is what should already happen when gfxmode=auto, so
we need to figure out why that apparently isn't happening for you,
then go from there.

What version of grub are you using?
Could you post the full output of "videoinfo" from the grub shell,
either via a picture from a camera, serial log, or (if you're really
ambitious) typing it out manually?

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)