Forcing GRUB to boot prefferred funtioning OS?

From: Richard Owlett
Subject: Forcing GRUB to boot prefferred funtioning OS?
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 13:09:02 -0500

I'm currently physically constrained to using GRUB 1.98, but I suspect that my problem will still exist when I move to a more current release of my preferred OS.

I wish *ALWAYS* default to the OLDEST installed system as that is obviously known to work. [Think about it. If it did not work it would be immediately removed.]

I have two machines:
#1 delivered with WinXP Pro SP3 now dual boot with Debian 6.0.5
#2 is my experimental machine. The older (I.E. known good) Linux install is a "bells and whistles" install of Debian 6.0.5. The "newer" (I.E. volatile) install is Ubuntu 10.10.

I'm only interested in installing Debian or Ubuntu. In all cases, when offered the option, have chosen to install GRUB to the MBR. Both Debian and Ubuntu install media configure latest install to be preferred boot OS. That's the opposite of my desire.

On machine #2 I expect to install various configurations of Debian. I wish to boot only oldest by default. Machine #1 will only get a new Debian install when Wheezy is released. But I will still want WinXP to be default OS.

How can I have it "My way"? (apologies to a certain hamburger chain ;)