Re: UEFI GRUB boot menu disappears after booting into Windows 8

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: UEFI GRUB boot menu disappears after booting into Windows 8
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 06:33:02 +0400

В Sun, 13 Jan 2013 21:24:44 +0100
Joan Jerez <address@hidden> пишет:

> Hello,
>
> After 6 January of 2013, I started to get problems when I boot into
> Windows 8, and upon restart or shutdown, GRUB disappears and it boots
> directly into Windows.
>
> I tried to remove (moving to another place) EFI applications related to
> Microsoft (after installing Ubuntu, they are named bootmgfw.efi.bkp and
> bootx64.efi.bkp) to ensure that they are not interfere with booting. As
> far I can remember they are in /boot/efi/EFI/Boot and
> /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/, now these folders are populated by GRUB2
> EFI applications.
>
> The problem isn't solved by doing so, so UEFI firmware is not escaping
> GRUB and booting directly using MS bootloader.
> Curiously, a long workaround is change booting method from UEFI to
> Legacy, boot to a CD/DVD, or USB, shutdown, and change it again to UEFI,
> and GRUB miraculously appears again.

In the followup message you said you cannot interrupt booting into
Windows. Here you say "change booting method to Legacy" which implies
you *can* interrupt booting and go into firmware setup. Could you
clarify?

If you *can* interrupt booting and go into firmware setup at this point
- how does UEFI boot menu look like? Does it have entries for Linux?

Does you system offer possibility to run EFI shell?