Re: UEFI GRUB boot menu disappears after booting into Windows 8

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: UEFI GRUB boot menu disappears after booting into Windows 8
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 15:13:42 -0700

On Jan 13, 2013, at 1:24 PM, Joan Jerez <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After 6 January of 2013, I started to get problems when I boot into Windows
> 8, and upon restart or shutdown, GRUB disappears and it boots directly into
> Windows.

GRUB appears, shows you what, before disappearing and booting Windows? Can you
interrupt this by pressing ESC or SHIFT (some versions apparently stop on GRUB
with shift, others esc). Then can you type c <enter> to get a grub prompt, then
type set <enter>.

You can either take a photo of the results from the 'set' command, or you can
just type out the results for
local-dir=
prefix=
root=
saved_entry=
secondary_locale_dir=

> I tried to remove (moving to another place) EFI applications related to
> Microsoft (after installing Ubuntu, they are named bootmgfw.efi.bkp and
> bootx64.efi.bkp) to ensure that they are not interfere with booting. As far I
> can remember they are in /boot/efi/EFI/Boot and
> /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/, now these folders are populated by GRUB2 EFI
> applications.
>
> The problem isn't solved by doing so, so UEFI firmware is not escaping GRUB
> and booting directly using MS bootloader.
> Curiously, a long workaround is change booting method from UEFI to Legacy,
> boot to a CD/DVD, or USB, shutdown, and change it again to UEFI, and GRUB
> miraculously appears again.
>

> GRUB2 efi files are dated 3-01-2013 (I installed Kubuntu before, in
> December), and I don't know if it's a regression because it don't happened
> before.
> I don't know too where to get a older version of bootx64.efi of GRUB2 to test
> if problem is solved.

This is complicated in part by the fact the grubx64.efi file has settings baked
into the file itself. So you can actually get different behaviors, not based on
the version of grub, but based on the settings in the grubx64.efi application
itself. Those settings occur at the time grub-install creates the grubx64.efi
file. Even if you move the grubx64.efi file around, it's almost invariably
going to find a specific grub.cfg.

What *should* be the case for UEFI, is that each operating system has its own
EFI boot load. And your firmware presents to you a list of available OS's to
boot from, so in effect you use the firmware's boot manager to choose a boot
loader which in turn is configured to boot an operating system.

I find it immensely overly complicated and fragile on UEFI to use GRUB as a
boot manager for other boot loaders. *shrug*

Also, the location and efi file name /EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi is special. The
firmware is supposed to always run that application as its default. So if
that's the Windows bootx64.efi then Windows always boots, you never get a GRUB
menu. There is no one single bootx64.efi, it's a special filename to be used
for the default efi boot application. It could even be a shell application
rather than a boot loader, or a maintenance program, etc. So based on that file
name you don't actually know what it is.

Chris Murphy