Re: problem with grub2 on lvm

From: Tech Support Department
Subject: Re: problem with grub2 on lvm
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 11:57:39 -0400

On Oct 4, 2012, at 1:13 PM, Ingo Becker wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > i am trying to create a bootable vm using grub2. Here are the steps i tried:
> >
> > 1. creating a logical volume using lvcreate
> > 2. creating a partition-table with one ext partition inside the logical volume:
> > My question is, whats the right way to install grub2 to the lvm device? Or is there a way to install grub2 to a logical volume without a partition-table (/dev/vg/debianvm)? Do i have to chroot to the system to install grub or is there a way to install it from the host?

There does appear, as was pointed out, that there is a confusion between VM (virtual machine) and LVM (logical volume management).  If you are using LVM, I strongly recommend that you do not use GRUB2 on that partition.  It is almost impossible to repair (I found it to be impossible) since it requires a way to mount those partitions before being able to repair it, and no repair kits do such.

KitchM