Re: problem with grub2 on lvm

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: problem with grub2 on lvm
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 14:43:31 -0600

On Oct 4, 2012, at 1:13 PM, Ingo Becker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i am trying to create a bootable vm using grub2. Here are the steps i tried:
>
> 1. creating a logical volume using lvcreate
> 2. creating a partition-table with one ext partition inside the logical
> volume:

why are you partitioning an LV instead of just creating different LVs? You're
partitioning three times, in effect. Once for the disk, once with LVM, and once
again within an LV. That does not off hand make sense.

> My question is, whats the right way to install grub2 to the lvm device? Or is
> there a way to install grub2 to a logical volume without a partition-table
> (/dev/vg/debianvm)? Do i have to chroot to the system to install grub or is
> there a way to install it from the host?

You install grub to the whole physical disk, i.e. /dev/sda. The installation
into a partition is not recommended, especially with a virtual machine where
there is no point having one virtual disk that boots multiple OS's. I'm not
sure what you're trying to achieve.

Chris Murphy