Re: dual grub install?

From: Tom Davies
Subject: Re: dual grub install?
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 13:03:59 +0100 (BST)

Hi :)
It's no surprise that Windows can't see something and that Linux can.  It's fairly typical.

Even though it is annoying for you i think it is great that Grub does now spot the Recovery Partition.  That partition is always, well almost always, going to be sda1 on any machine.  Grub really needs to recognise that it is supposed to be hidden-ish and that the 2nd Windows partition is the main one.  I think the devs list needs to hear about this and they might be the ones that can help you.

The way i would deal with it is to edit the config files
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Setup#Configuring_GRUB_2
so that Grub defaults into the right version of Windows.  I think the "Default =" starts counting 0, 1, 2 so probably you will want it to boot line 1 of the grub menu, or maybe line 2 i'm not sure.

I tend to set Windows to the top of the Grub menu by changing the name of the file that looks for other OSes so that it is run before the file that looks for Linuxes (Linii?).  So,

cd /etc/grub.d
sudo mv 30_os-prober 08_os-prober
sudo update-grub

That'll make GRUB look for non-Linux OSes first, putting Windows at the top.

I'm not sure that really helps you but i find it's useful.  Then maybe talk to the devs aftr setting things up to suit your requirements?
Regards from
Tom :)