Re: info in boot sector out of sync after clone

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: info in boot sector out of sync after clone
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 15:39:24 -0700

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 8:59 AM, Krister <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I just got a bigger harddrive and cloned over my partitions.
> After the clone I am happy to see that ubuntu still runs happily.
>
> Windows will not boot however. I reinstalled GRUB, but to no avail.
> I think it has to do with the following output from boot_info_script:
>
> "
> sda3:
>
>    File system:       ntfs
>    Boot sector type:  Windows Vista/7
>    Boot sector info:   According to the info in the boot sector, sda3 starts
>                       at sector 21196800. But according to the info from
>                       fdisk, sda3 starts at sector 21829632.
>    Operating System:  Windows Vista
>    Boot files:        /bootmgr /Boot/BCD /Windows/System32/winload.exe
> "
>

> Not surprising but I'm not sure how to update the "info in the boot sector".
> Could someone give me a hint?

Follow this guide:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/bootinfoscript/index.php?title=Boot_Problems:Boot_Sector
with the exception that on the sixth screen you need to select
"Rebuild BS" rather than "Backup BS" (because in your case rather than
the boot sector being clobbered while having a valid backup, both the
current boot sector and the backup are based on your previous setup's
starting sector for the partition).

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)