Re: Deleting partitions

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re: Deleting partitions
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 23:47:42 -0400

On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 04:59:48AM EDT, Jordan Uggla wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 9:56 PM, Chris Jones <address@hidden> wrote:

[..]

> > Would chroot'ing to the linux system on /dev/sda9 (now /dev/sda7)
> > immediately after deleting the two partitions and running update-grub
> > (and OS-prober) from the chroot be the best choice..?
>
> Yes, that would be the best choice and full instructions for doing
> this are here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#ChRoot

Thanks.

Apologies about being unclear re: OS-prober. Shouldn't have mentioned it
in the first place.

For the record, I chose a simpler/safer/quicker solution:

1. booted a healthy system that lives on /dev/sdb, installed grub to
   both drives, and ran grub-install
2. booted off of a live CD, deleted sda5 & sda7 - sda9 became sda7.
3. rebooted off the hard drive manually changing msdos9 to msdo7
   to point to the current partition
4. installed grub and ran grub-update so grub is back on my main system
   so-to-speak..

Only problem is that when I ran the last grub-update, OS-prober failed
to detect an Ubuntu system that lives on sda.

I mounted the partition and had a quick look.. saw nothing suspicious..
unmounted it and fsck'd it thinking the file system might have taken
a hit. Ran update-grub again, and this time the corresponding menu
entries were created.. Oh, well..

Thank you for your help.

CJ

--