Re: Grub2, UEFI and Asus

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Grub2, UEFI and Asus
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 03:46:39 -0800

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Jamie Kitson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is Grub2, UEFI and Asus a known issue? I just moved a working install
> from a Thinkpad X220 to an Asus UX31E and it wouldn't boot past

Can you try running each command in the menu entry manually to see
where the freeze actually happens? If the freeze happens after the
"initrd /path/to/initrd" command then it's almost certainly a bug in
grub. If the freeze happens after "boot" (every menu entry has an
implied "boot" command at the end) then it's more likely a firmware
bug or a bug somewhere in the kernel preventing a framebuffer from
successfully being created by / handed off to the kernel. No
framebuffer = no kernel output and apparent freeze. Sometimes the
"noefi" kernel parameter can work around problems between [U]EFI
firmware and the linux kernel.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)