Re: [SOLVED] Re: Grub2 editable floppy?

From: Robert
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Re: Grub2 editable floppy?
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 18:39:57 +0100

wangji wrote:
Le lundi 14 novembre 2011 à 00:40 +0100, Robert a écrit :
wangji wrote:
have a look
at :https://sites.google.com/site/wjhowto/ext2-diskfile-for-grub2

I first tried it simuliar with a trick to partition the floppy
image with partition 1 at 32K Start. .. "losetup -o32256
/dev/loop1 fd.img"
Once this worked somehow, but it was not really a usable rw
floppy, as a special mount is necessary. And I could not reproduce it.

Now the script mk_fdb.sh below creates a legal editable rw vfat
floppy (image). Could be even edited easily on DOS/Windows.

(in Grub2 v1.99 there seems to be a bug with the new and required
option "-a" however. v1.98 is ok)

Robert

I could be wrong,but so far I understand grub-setup does not allow to
use a no-partitioned-disk ,no matter what format is used.

there is just a warning regarding blocklists needing to be used. it works via "--force" as shown in the script which I attached. blocklists are ok on a floppy. LILO uses nothing else. (Its when the core.img / kernel / initrd ... files are replaced, a new LILO or grub-setup whould be needed to recalc the blocklists)
With 1.98 everything works (just the USB modules are fatal buggy)

In Grub2 v1.99 grub-setup there is even a new switch "-a" regarding floppies.

Just with v1.99 here everything fails: legal plain floppy, paritioned floppy and --diet for iso floppies also disappeared :-( Grub boots and then freezes after the 4 Letters "GRUB "
 why?

The only way is to cheat by making use of another external bootloader
as hpa's syslinux or extlinux like examples given in :

https://sites.google.com/site/playgrub2/home/pseudo-install-grub2-on-raw-diskfile-a-k-a-nopartitioning

this will probably fail because grub-install needs 2M+
I wonder about
"echo "(hd0) $loop" > mnt/boot/grub/device.map"
and "--grub-mkdevicemap=/boot/grub/device.map" : Is this used at install time (how?), at stage 0, 1 , 2 boot?

Robert