Re: Is there possible to boot from network through grub

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Is there possible to boot from network through grub
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 16:41:23 -0800

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 2:47 AM, Yixuan Huang <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I want to boot grub and retrieve kernel and initrd from network.
>
> I want to place my grub boot loader into floppy, in grub configuration file,
> I will record tftp server (or ftp server), then let grub load remote kernel
> & initrd.
>
> Is it possible for current grub? How can I implement? Any idea?
>

> Thanks,
> yixuan

This is currently possible, but only using something like iPXE to load
grub and give it access to the network (Or, if your hardware has it,
your hardware's PXE stack). There is work being done currently to
allow grub to access network hardware directly though. What is your
end goal, and why a floppy?

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)