update-grub very slow after upgrading to Ubuntu 11.04

From: Lucas Redding
Subject: update-grub very slow after upgrading to Ubuntu 11.04
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 17:18:54 -0400

Hi,

I'm trying to work out why running "sudo update-grub"  for Grub 2 takes over 15 minutes to run ever since I upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04. Before the upgrade (Ubuntu 10.10 also Grub 2) it only took 5-10 seconds if that.

I am running an AMD Sempron 2800+, 1.5 Gig RAM, 160 GB SATA on a RAID, and 120gb IDE, dual boot to Windows XP.

Is there anything I can do to help me understand why "sudo update-grub" now performs so slowly?

The rest of the ui (unity) seems to run at acceptable speeds.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Lucas