Re: Motherboard change = can't boot

From: James Jarvis
Subject: Re: Motherboard change = can't boot
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 22:06:59 +0100

Having changed the motherboard it is very likely your initrd is no longer valid - as a result the kernel modules required are not being inserted.

Try booting from cd, mounting the root file system on disk and reading the mkinitrd man page.

You should then be able to recreate an appropriate initrd and adjust your your grub config to load it on next boot. You may need to chroot (again use the man page).

As D.T. stated, you may need to do some homework with lspci - again consult the man page. Also, whilst booted on the liveCD and before chroot use lsmod (again use man page) to identify which modules are active. A wild guess, you may need ata_piix module or something similar.

HTH give pointers if not the answer...

J.J.

D T wrote:

I think I had a similar problem 3 or 4 year ago. In my case the drivers for the new HDD controllers on the MB were not compiled in the kernel.
If you haven't tried this yet:

Boot from a Gentoo CD

Run lspci to see what you have on the MB

Do something of this sort: mount the root partition, cd to /usr/src/linux and check if the drivers for the HDD controllers are compiled in the kernel, by taking a look in the ".config" file or running "make menuconfig". You may have to chroot (not sure) and recompile the kernel & modules.

You may also want to look at /proc/partitions to see what's being recognized.

Hope someone more experienced can add the missing details.

D.T.