Re: Motherboard change = can't boot

From: D T
Subject: Re: Motherboard change = can't boot
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 11:20:29 -0700 (PDT)

I think I had a similar problem 3 or 4 year ago. In my case the drivers for the new HDD controllers on the MB were not compiled in the kernel.

If you haven't tried this yet:

Boot from a Gentoo CD

Run lspci to see what you have on the MB

Do something of this sort: mount the root partition, cd to /usr/src/linux and check if the drivers for the HDD controllers are compiled in the kernel, by taking a look in the ".config" file or running "make menuconfig". You may have to chroot (not sure) and recompile the kernel & modules.

You may also want to look at /proc/partitions to see what's being recognized.

Hope someone more experienced can add the missing details.

D.T.