Re: Using Grub floppy for network boot?

From: Franklin PIAT
Subject: Re: Using Grub floppy for network boot?
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 09:26:23 +0200

Hello,

On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 18:02 -0400, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> We have some machines that PXE boot Linux from the bios off the built in
> 100 mbit ethernet. We have added usb gigabit ethernet pci cards
> ENLGA-1320, and would like to use those only.
>
> The bios won't use the pci ethernet.

Have you tried to disable the built-in NIC adapter ?

> Is it possible to build a boot
> floopy with grub that would do a network boot off the gigabit? There is
> a Linux driver for the ENLGA-1320.

The project http://etherboot.org/ seems more suitable for that purpose.
Once you have emulated the PXE boot, you can use Grub.
The benefit it that you wouldn't need to update the configuration files
on the floppy (since it would be downloaded from the network).

Franklin