help-gnustep

Re: Installed GNUstep on Ubuntu 16.04 – Or Have I?

From: Ignatzzzz
Subject: Re: Installed GNUstep on Ubuntu 16.04 – Or Have I?
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2019 08:00:23 -0700 (MST)

Well, I installed WindowMaker using the instructions here :
https://www.howtogeek.com/109686/how-to-install-use-the-window-maker-desktop-environment-on-ubuntu/

But I don't get an option to select WindowMaker from the logout / login
screen. I tried running 'wmaker' from Terminal, but got the message
'usr/lib/WindowMaker/wmaker (Startup(startup.c:636): fatal : it seems that
there is already a widow manager running'.

So, WindowMaker appears to be installed properly. So I went to kill LightGDM
(sudo service lightgdm stop), which I assumed would take me to a command
line, but all I got was a blinking white vertical bar, top left and no
ability to input text. Any ideas?

TIA,

Tim

--