help-gnu-music

Re: using 'flat' or # in a title

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: using 'flat' or # in a title
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 18:12:23 +0200

>     Mats> For the record, the solution in both the cases was to include the
>     Mats> TeX code in quotes, thus both
>     Mats> _ _ _ _ "6" _ "5 6" _ _ "$\sharp$" _
>     Mats> and
>     Mats> _ _ _ _ "6" _ "5 6" _ _ "\fetachar\fetasharp" _
>     Mats> works fine. However the latter version is preferred since
>     Mats> it gives the same layout of the accidental as is used
>     Mats> within the music.
>
> But I don't think that's normal for continuo printing.  What you want
> is a sharp, flat or natural that looks as much as possible as a
> number, in terms of size and baseline.  Both \fetasharp and \sharp are
> a bit big, and have a baseline that's different.  This edition that
> I'm transcribing the Schütz from looks to me to be using a smaller
> version of the sharp that's used on the staff.
>
> Is there a way to use the next size smaller \fetasharp?

You could always make a file myfontdefs.tex containing the
following lines:
--------------------------------------
\font\fetathirteen=feta13
\def\smallfetachar#1{\hbox{\fetathirteen#1}}
---------------------------------------
add a line
latexheaders="myfontdefs.tex"
to the header section of your file and use
"\smallfetachar\fetasharp"
in the lyrics line.
Of course, if you make your own latex header file, you could just
as well define your own shorthands that also could fix problems
with the vertical alignment. You could try something like (untested)

\newcommand{\mysharp}{\raisebox{3pt}{\fetathirteen\fetasharp}}

    /Mats