help-gnu-music

Lily_requirments_frustration

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Lily_requirments_frustration
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 13:27:53 +0000

Hello all,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm having difficulties, however.  This is the
one area that I find very frustrating about GNU-Linux.  Something requires
an update and that begins a whole domino-effect cascade of upgrades (not
all of which are plain to me) which end up breaking something else.

I do have a RedHat 7.0 box but it is my older machine and is doing duty as
a print-/file- server.  My main machine is RH6.2 and I don't want to
upgrade it as I'm concerned about breaking my Ximian-Gnome desktop which
initially cost me 13 hours in download time (DSL connections in Iceland,
like everything else, are ridiculously expensive).

When I tried to install some of the .rpm files needed for Lily I ran into
lots of dependency problems.  In one case I tried to rebuild an .rpm file
only to end up with some error messages.

I'm also concerned about breaking Gnucash which relies on guile.  Gnucash,
like Lily, is under constant development so keeping them both happy can be
a bit tricky for me.

I'm quite sure that most (if not all) of my difficulties are due to lack of
knowlege (though it *is* frustrating).  If someone feels like leading me by
the hand with this, great.  If not, I suppose I'll have to try out Lilypond
a bit later.

Thanks,

David Bobroff