help-gnu-music

Re: Simultaneous arrangement of ordinary and cross-shaped notes

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Simultaneous arrangement of ordinary and cross-shaped notes
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 11:36:40 +0100

> Hello,
> When I prepare notes for my wife's teaching, sometimes I encounter
> situations,
> for which I cannot find solutions in the manual.
> Yesterday I had to typeset a song, where at some instance I had to put
> ordinary notes and crosses at the same time instance. I tried all
> combinations of arrangements I could think of, but every time the notes
> where printed the same way, either all as notes or as crosses. Finally I
> declared the cross-notes as grace-notes with cross shape and that
> worked. Are there better solutions?

Take a look at the example input/regression/noteheadstyle.ly.
The trick is to use separate Thread contexts for the notes
with different shapes.

> Yesterday I also encountered a (likely unusual) problem with stanzas:
> The song goes
> Refrain - strophe 1 - Refrain - strophe 2 - Refrain - strophe 3 -
> Refrain.
>
> It took me quite a while to arrange the lyrics sequentially (first
> refrain, then 3 simultaneous stanza's); I solved it by creating 2 lyrics
> contexts and using these sequentially. I am almost content with the
> solution, but the strophes don't show the numbering. What would be the
> 'right' solution. (Again: It's now satisfying for the
> purpose, but I would like to know the right procedure).

I don't know about right or wrong, but isn't one alternative to use
\repeat fold 3 {refrain}\alternative {{strophe 1}{strophe 2}{strophe 3}}
Also, you could create three lyric lines from the beginning and
begin two of them with a \skip. However, none of these solutions will
help you with automatic strophe numbering - it seems that the
Stanza_number_engraver is hard coded to only provide numbers
at the beginning of a piece.

     /Mats