help-gnu-music

Re: Simultaneous arrangement of ordinary and cross-shaped notes

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Simultaneous arrangement of ordinary and cross-shaped notes
Date: 02 Mar 2001 11:10:03 +0100

Alois Steindl <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
> When I prepare notes for my wife's teaching, sometimes I encounter
> situations,
> for which I cannot find solutions in the manual.
> Yesterday I had to typeset a song, where at some instance I had to put
> ordinary notes and crosses at the same time instance. I tried all
> combinations of arrangements I could think of, but every time the notes
> where printed the same way, either all as notes or as crosses. Finally I
> declared the cross-notes as grace-notes with cross shape and that
> worked. Are there better solutions?

Maybe you want this:

    \score {
      \context Staff \notes <
        \context Thread=one {
          \property Thread.NoteHead \override #'style = #'cross
          c'
        }
        \context Thread=two {
          a''
        }

    }

Properties you set, are always context wide.  So if you want different
properties for different grobs that happen at the same time instance,
they must be in different notation contexts.

If both notes should have their own stem, Switch the context Thread to
Voice.