help-gnu-music

Re: Problems with Lilypond chordChanges property

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: Problems with Lilypond chordChanges property
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:04:44 +0100

Janne Kivijarvi wrote:

> Down there's a simple melody with lyrics and chords. The chord
> is C major all the time and if I've understood things correctly, the
> chordChanges property should prevent the symbol 'C'  from being printed
> more than once per row. Well, at least on 1.3.129 it doesn't seem to
> do that for me.

No, I think you've found a bug. - If the melody changes faster than the
chords (so some notes have happenened since the last chord) then the
chordChanges property fail.

> Also, is there a standard way of stating that (for example) the first
> bar shouldn't have a chord (symbol) at all? An empty chord symbol
> or a "no chord" chord?

You do just like when typesetting music - use the s-command. This also
fixes your chord problem - use a space chord instead of a repeated
chord:

accomp = \chords { s1 c s s d s}

I know that this produces warnings like

 warning: Junking request: `Skip_req':
accomp = \chords { s1 c
                        s s d s }

(another bug?) - but it is typeset correctly.

-Rune