help-gnu-music

Re: double beams with two voices

From: Brian McMinn
Subject: Re: double beams with two voices
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 07:43:28 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for the quick reply.  Yes, I realized that I
could force all the stems up in the higher voice and
all the stems down in the lower but that's not how I
want it to look.  If I leave all the stems up,
lilypond will merge the stems of the half and quarter
notes.  This matches the "look" that is common to most
SATB music that I've seen - opposite stems are only
used when it's not obvious which voice gets which
note.

I'm trying to transcribe a SATB choral arrangement
from a handwritten copy.  The author has written the
women's parts on the treble staff and the men's parts
on the bass staff and when both parts on the same
staff sing the same rythym, he has put the notes on
the same stem (including the 8th notes).

I can't easily write this as a bunch of chords because
there are places where each voice has its own lyrics
and putting them in chords messes up the natural match
of sylables with notes.  (And I'm also hoping that by
putting each part in a Voice all by itself, I can pull
out just one part from the midi output).

So I want to get lilypond to merge the 8th notes in
the same way it merges the stems of the quarter notes.
 If that's not possible I can go the forced up/down
route but that doesn't match the style that I've seen
most often.

   Brian