help-gnu-music

Re: Q: Whole rest woe

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Q: Whole rest woe
Date: 03 Feb 2001 10:31:13 +0100

Rune Zedeler <address@hidden> writes:

> Well, since the two voices are in the same staff those two statements
> will refer to the same variable, so that will not work.
> Changing Staff to Voice (\property Voice.MultiMeasureRest....) should
> help.

Well, except that the Multi_measure_rest_engraver lives at Staff
level: it won't see Voice level properties.

The real problem here, is that currently we cannot set a grob property
for a specific grob (or: grobs that originate from a specific
request): they have to go through the engraver mechanism.  I hope we
can fix this problem after 1.4.

You could move the mmrest engraver to Voice level, but I don't know
how bar lines will behave (mmrest needs bar lines in context):

\score {
  \context Staff \notes <
    \context Voice=i {
      \property Voice.MultiMeasureRest \override #'staff-position = #3
      R1
    }
    \context Voice=ii {
      \property Voice.MultiMeasureRest \override #'staff-position = #-3
      R1
    }

  \paper {
    \translator {