help-gnu-music

Re: Two Lilypond questions

From: Werner Icking
Subject: Re: Two Lilypond questions
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:02:14 +0100 (MET)

> From: Chris Jackson <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 23:31:59 +0000

[...]
> Although currently it cannot distinguish between upward and downward
> arpeggios? I've never actually seen a downward arpeggio in printed
> piano music, I assume it's just an arrowhead at the bottom of the
> squiggly line? Debussy or Liszt or someone must have used this at some
> point.

For violin music I've use a downward arrow on top of the chord for
those chords which have to be played such a way that one of the
lower notes should sound last and longer:

 ftp://ftp.gmd.de/music/scores/bach/sonatas_and_partitas/bwv1001.ps (~1 MB :-)
  page 10, line 6 right half, bars 19-20

I've just typeset another small sample to be used on Paul Gabler's
famous WWW-pages about La Folia http://people.a2000.nl/pgabler/
It's music for flute solo with chords. In the manuscript the composer
used an upward arrow on top of the arpeggio line, which I reproduced:
http://wsv.gmd.de/persons/icking/folia/Galvaoj.gif

So I think the same could be done with a downward arrow at the bottom
of the arpeggio line.