help-gnu-music

Re: [Help-gnu-music] volta-style brackets w/o repeat

From: David Boersma
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-music] volta-style brackets w/o repeat
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 18:48:08 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello Fred,

I pondered about it for a while and I am sorry to say that I do not see
the need for unnumbered volta brackets yet... Maybe it is the 25% missing
imagination.

Your piece is structured as follows:

> Chorus
> Repeat Chorus
> Verse 1
> Chorus
> Verse 2
> Chorus
> Verse 3
> Chorus
> Final Ending

If the Chorus is short (shorter than one line) I would say that volta
bracket or other fancy structures would make the score needlessly
complicated, I would just write it in one stretch.

So I suppose the Chorus is long.

If the Verses are short, the piece can take the form of a 5-fold repeat
plus an ending:

||: Chorus w/o final chord |
    Volta 1: final chord of chorus :||
    Volta 2: final chord of chorus + verse 1 :||
    Volta 3: final chord of chorus + verse 2 :||
    Volta 4: final chord of chorus + verse 3 :||
    Volta 5: final chord of chorus  :||
Final Ending |.

(The ||: at the beginning is not necessary, only there to clarify the
idea).

In case of long verses (which I guess is actually the case) volta brackets
with or without numbers stretching out over multiple lines are not so
desirable. I am a choir singer myself, and sorry, I would not like it. If
I were to typeset the piece I would (now) opt for:

`Chorus` Chorus :|| 'only the first time'
         Verse 1 || "(Chorus)"
         Verse 2 || "(Chorus)"
         Verse 3 || "(Chorus)"
         Final Ending |.

Where backquotes (`) indicate a label above the first bar of the chorus,
single quotes (') indicate a label above the repeat mark, and the double
quotes (") are a text at the end of staff (force a linebreak after each
verse). Or, maybe, an empty bar with the label "(Chorus)" above it.

So I did not provide you with the unnumbered voltabrackets you asked for.
Sorry. Maybe my other suggestions are useful, maybe they are totally
useless (I do not know your piece, after all...).

I have to leave now. Good luck with it.
Cheers,
David.