help-gnu-music

Re: [Help-gnu-music] volta-style brackets w/o repeat

From: David Boersma
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-music] volta-style brackets w/o repeat
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 16:47:23 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello Frederick,

> Is there any way to put a volta-style bracket above a group of measures,
> without it being a component of a repeat-volta-alternative grouping?  I want
> to set alternative groupings, but they're not strictly repeats, and I don't
> want a repeat number ("1.", "2.", etc.), or repeat bars.  I tried forcing a
> \bar "||"; to put a double bar instead, but it just sets both bars.
>
> Thoughts?

I would say that it depends on what you mean by 'alternative groupings'.

When I try to imagine in what case you would like that I end up with vocal
music with both original and translated lyrics of which the rhythm does
not exactly match; or with several stanzas on the same melody but slightly
different rhythm.

But in such cases the 'alternative groupings' are usually (in my musical
experience...) typeset as if they were multiple voices on the same staff.
Sometimes there is one major alternative (e.g. the original lyrics), which
is typeset normally, and a minor one (the translation) in a smaller or
dashed type.

Cheers,
David Boersma
Amsterdam (NL)