menu-bar-mode makes frame continuously shrink in height

From: PierGianLuca
Subject: menu-bar-mode makes frame continuously shrink in height
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 10:29:08 +0200

Hi everyone,

Emacs 29.1 on Ubuntu 20.04 here. Emacs was installed from tarball with options:
--with-native-compilation --with-json --enable-link-time-optimization
--with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-toolkit-scroll-bars

I see a curious behaviour from calling "menu-bar-mode" and "tool-bar-mode".
Before submitting it as a bug I wanted to ask here if it's something known, or if not how I can
track the source of the problem myself.

I have frames set at height=77 in "default-frame-alist", and "menu-bar-mode" and
"tool-bar-mode" both set to nil (all via Customize).

(A) If I call "M-x menu-bar-mode", the menu bar appears, and the frame shrinks vertically
by one line. If I call "M-x menu-bar-mode" again, the menu bar disappears, and the frame
shrinks vertically once more. So the more I make the menu bar appear and disappear, the more the
frame shrinks.

I tried adding and removing "menu-bar-lines" in "frame-inhibit-implied-resize",
but the problem remains either way.

(B) Exactly the same problem with tool-bar-mode. There's one difference here:

this continuous-shrinking behaviour happens if "tool-bar-lines" is in
"frame-inhibit-implied-resize". Otherwise, the frame increases in vertical size when tool-bar-mode
is enabled, and decrease to the original size when tool-bar-mode is is disabled. (This seems to me contrary
to what's explained under "tool-bar-lines".)

(C) If I call Emacs with "-Q" (no init file), the continuous shrinking does
*not* happen with menu-bar-mode – but it *does* happen with tool-bar-mode.

This makes me think that there's both a bug somewhere, but also something
strange in my init file.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions about which tests to make!

Cheers,
Luca