Re: Question on updating to 29.1

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Question on updating to 29.1
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 19:17:34 +0200

Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:

> In my case, i did upgrade from bookworm to sid (Debian
> distro). Now i have GNU Emacs 29.1 version.

Sid is the development version of Debian while Bookworm AKA
Debian 12 is the most recent, stable version of Debian.

I don't know what the reason was for you to use Sid, but if it
is to get a more recent Emacs version it is better to keep the
distribution stable, and install Emacs manually. Then you get
the most recent version of Emacs - i.e. even more recent than
what you get from the Sid repos - while still having the
stable Linux distro beneath it.

Especially since it is so easy ot build Emacs manually.

> Like me, you do contact to Ubuntu team with Emacs update.

What do you mean?

> And i like this emacs 29.1 very much!

If you build Emacs yourself you can get

  GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version 1.16.0)
  of 2023-09-08 [commit a2f977d94e0356c7414876e988adedd2ab7b52f2]

and you can configure with --with-native-compilation to make
it much faster. Just try - and you will fly :P

Useful commands:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.zsh/install-emacs

--
underground experts united