Re: vterm and Meta?

From: hw
Subject: Re: vterm and Meta?
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2023 18:32:37 +0200

On Fri, 2023-08-04 at 23:20 +0200, PierGianLuca wrote:
> > Hm, thinking of it, CapsLock as Alt seems to make way more sense since
> > I almost never use that anyway ...  But how do I configure CapsLock as
> > Alt in wayland?
>
> Try out Xremap:
>
> https://github.com/k0kubun/xremap
>
> It is extremely flexible and even allows per-app configurations. It works at
> a deeper level than other keymap-like programs (such as AutoKey for
> instance), so you don't even notice it's there. I use it on X11, but
> apparently it works with Wayland too.

Thanks!  I doubt it works on a "deeper level" with wayland because it
requires a gnome shell extension to figure out which program is
currently focused.  That makes me think it intercepts the keyboard
input, does its thing to that and sends the result to whatever program
currently has the keyboard focus --- or something along these lines.

That seems like a really bad software because it raises all kinds of
security issues, because the overhead (not to mention the
dependencies) must be tremendous and because it doesn't actually fix
the problem by allowing to change the keyboard layout but wedges a bad
layer in between.  (It's not like gnome shell extensions are easy to
set up.  I only did it because I wanted gs-connect so I could send
SMS, but that worked only for a little while and is broken since.  If
gnome had a decent window manager, these extensions wouldn't be needed
anyway.)

And that doesn't even mention that the gnome people still haven't
gotten focus-follows-mouse to work right which fvwm does so well since
ages.  They got it work better than it did, though.

Some people must have a really weird understanding of "deeper level".
Why can't we just modify the predefined keyboard layouts? Somebody
must have made them somehow.