Re: vterm and Meta?

From: hw
Subject: Re: vterm and Meta?
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2023 16:02:11 +0200

On Wed, 2023-08-02 at 22:10 +0700, Yuri Khan wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Aug 2023 at 21:30, hw <hw@adminart.net> wrote:
>
> > This seems to be one of these stupid gnome issues.  In gnome, there is
> > Settings-->Keyboard-->Alternate Characters Key, and the key you pick
> > there gets disabled :(
>
> Indeed. See merge request
> <https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/-/merge_requests/910>
> and several bug reports linked from there.

Yeah there's bug reports going back 2 years or longer.

> > How do I turn this off?  I don't need this and it gets in the way.
>
> (a) sacrifice a less important key (maybe right Alt or right Super)

Right Alt is very important; I don't seem to have right Super, so I
set that.

> (b) wait for a future release of GNOME in which that MR will be merged

Haha, when will that be?

> (c) migrate to Ubuntu which applies that MR as a distro patch

Uh no, I'm not touching Ubuntu.

> (d) migrate off GNOME to a compositor that gives you direct control
> over xkb options

Are there any?

> (e) use Gnome Tweaks to disable that option and avoid the Settings →
> Keyboard panel

Fedora gives us only a dumbed-down version of tweaks.  Hmm ... "Key to
choose the 3rd level"?  It has more options than in settings, but
still no option to disable it.  Ah, hm, I can pick none of these
options, maybe that disables it?