Re: editing a PDF [Re: emacs 30.5.0 editing epub]

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: editing a PDF [Re: emacs 30.5.0 editing epub]
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 03:15:25 -0400

On 3/19/23 7:59 PM, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
"gebser@mousecar.com" <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:

How does one edit a PDF file in emacs?  When I downloaded
https://www.gnu.org.ua/software/direvent/manual/direvent.pdf, loaded
it into emacs, and tried to edit it, I could see it it and read it,
but I couldn't even highlight a part of the text so I could copy
it... nor could I make any changes to it.

I don't think you want to edit pdf in Emacs: the file contents are not
human readable, and Emacs doesn't provide features to allow graphical
editing like those pdf editors (at least not built in).

epub files can contain human readable parts like html, however.

What I had written:

I managed to copy an pdf-File into an epub Archive.  Opened the
archive and opened the pdf using doc-view.  I was not able to provoke an
error.  Saving worked successfully however I tried.

was only happening because I was trying around how to provoke the
reported error.

Michael.

Yep, of course that was the paragraph I was reading too.

It is kinda weird that, with all the many things that emacs can do, it can't take the info from doc-view (which obviously understands all the pieces of a pdf-- down to its bits-- and how they all go together to make a document) and edit it... it's pretty much implausible to believe emacs *can't* do that. But then, I've always thought reality was completely implausible. :^/