Re: Need for colorful completing read

From: Akib Azmain Turja
Subject: Re: Need for colorful completing read
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 11:05:32 +0600

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to make a function similar to `completing-read' for the
> choice of colors as shown by {M-x list-colors-display RET} so that I
> can choose or select a color and that I can see the color while
> selecting it.
>
> Is that possible or maybe already exists somewhere?

It should be possible.  Marginalia shows faces (on *Completion* buffer,
or Vertico, or Selectrum) when you call describe-face.  So, you should
also be able to show the colors by show spaces with both background set
to the color you want to show.  May be you can use Marginalia to do
this.  See Marginalia README, C-h P marginalia RET (make sure you loaded
the package list with M-x package-show-package-list).

--
Akib Azmain Turja

Find me on Mastodon at @akib@hostux.social.

This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key.  Its fingerprint is:

    7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6  66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5