Re: Hunspell and contractions with apostrophes

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Hunspell and contractions with apostrophes
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 07:00:48 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 14:53:54 -0700
>>
>> > Ack! You're right, "emacs -Q" works fine. I should've checked that
>> > first. My only other spelling-related customization is setting
>> > `ispell-personal-dictionary', and setting `flyspell-use-meta-tab' to
>> > nil. I'll try changing those and figuring out what's going on.
>>
>> I've unset `ispell-personal-dictionary' it's working correctly now.
>> Obviously there's something about personal dictionaries that I'm not
>> understanding.
>
> ispell-personal-dictionary was my guess when I read your previous
> message.
>
> Can you show that setting?  Maybe we will be able to tell you what was
> wrong about it.

The setting was just:

(setq ispell-personal-dictionary "~/.aspell.en_US.pws")

That file was just a plain word list. Above the setting I'd left this
comment:

;; ispell.el claims that the default personal dictionary should be
;; ~/.aspell.en.pws, while aspell itself thinks it should be
;; ~/.aspell.en_US.pws Right now I've changed the dictionary to what
;; aspell thinks it should be, and we'll see if that confuses ispell.el
;; at all.

Though TBH at a remove of several years, I don't really remember where
these ideas came from.

Thanks,
Eric