Re: (Mis?)using quote as apostrophe (was: Hunspell and contractions with

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: (Mis?)using quote as apostrophe (was: Hunspell and contractions with apostrophes)
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 09:05:24 +0300

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2020 at 07:23, Dmitry Alexandrov <dag@gnui.org> wrote:
>
>> First and foremost, your ’ is *not* an apostrophe, itʼs a right quote.
>> Apostrophe is ʼ.

>> I you insist on using right single quote as apostrophe, though, I have no
>> idea, how to make ispell.el pass it to hunspell(1) as a part of a word.
>> Neither why ever do that.
>
> Because the Unicode standard says so.
>
> <https://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2000.pdf>, entry for U+2019:
>
>     2019 ’ RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
>            = single comma quotation mark
>            • this is the preferred character to use for apostrophe
>            → 0027 ' apostrophe
>            → 02BC ʼ modifier letter apostrophe
>            → 275C ❜ heavy single comma quotation mark ornament
>
> (Yes, it’s unfortunate for word boundary algorithms.)

Heh.  Iʼm afraid, itʼs not merely unfortunate, itʼs totally in spite of the
whole spirit of Unicode, and simply silly.  Just as if it said that ” (RIGHT
DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK) were the preferred character for inches sign.

> Also, <https://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U02B0.pdf>:
>
>     02BC ʼ MODIFIER LETTER APOSTROPHE
>            = apostrophe
>            • glottal stop, glottalization, ejective
>            • many languages use this as a letter of their alphabets
>            • used as a tone marker in Bodo, Dogri, and Maithili
>            • 2019 ’ is the preferred character for a punctuation apostrophe

A!  _Punctuation_ apostrophe.  Whatever is it, itʼs not what we are taking
about here.  hunspell does not check punctuation.