RE: Temporary notes in Emacs buffers?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Temporary notes in Emacs buffers?
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2020 08:00:31 -0800 (PST)

> > You can have any number of bookmark files, and they can be stored
> > anywhere.
>
> For vanilla Emacs bookmarks (I guess you spoke of bookmark+ bookmarks),
> this is not true

It is true also for vanilla Emacs.  A bookmark file
can be anywhere, and you can have any number of them.

Even vanilla Emacs has command `bookmark-load', and
that lets you load a bookmark file (located anywhere),
either (1) replacing the existing set of current
bookmarks or (2) adding to that existing set.

> I tried to use `bookmark-file' as a file local
> variable - this has no effect.

`C-h v bookmark-file' tells you that it is "Old name
for `bookmark-default-file'."  The latter's name and
doc string tell you that its value is just the
_default_ location for a bookmark file, e.g. for
prompting when you save or load:

  "File in which to save bookmarks by default."

> Then I tried with
> `bookmark-default-file' as file local variable -
> this is also ignored unless you bind
> `bookmark-bookmarks-timestamp' to nil in addition.
> While this finally worked and I could use a
> file-local bookmark file, my real bookmark file
> got erased in the process...

I don't understand what you're trying to do; sorry.
You can have your own variables, file-local or not,
to do anything, including to point to bookmark files,
which can be anywhere.

I think maybe you are confusing the default
bookmark-file location with the location of a given
bookmark file.  But it's not clear to me just what
you want to do.

> I learned that authors of the vanilla bookmark code didn't intend to
> support using multiple bookmark files like this.

Dunno what "like this" means here.