Re: Is Elisp really that slow?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is Elisp really that slow?
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 13:32:12 +0200

Ergus wrote:

> So in the context of your example, our tire
> is 55 (incompatible with everything else by
> far), but also it works in a special kind of
> bike that needs a 50 tire on Mondays and
> Tuesdays, but is the user who needs to do the
> changes. We need to maintain our own bikes,
> wheels, the material, and as we don't have
> practical arguments about why we keep that
> system in many cases except that it is
> because it is compatible with the previous
> bikes we produced the last 40 years and the
> old users are use to them and they already
> know how to fix them.
>
> But the new users can find spare parts for
> the other systems anywhere, and specialized
> personal in the other technologies, and they
> don't need to be alert about the day of the
> week... So for him is an obvious choice.
> Our tire is better, because it is the only
> tire that can change size 2 times a week, but
> for him it does not represent an advantage.

I don't recognize this analogy. I think Emacs
is consistent enough. Sure, I did a lot of
configuration but I don't recall doing much of
that because Emacs was/is inconsistent in terms
of its interface. Obviously, if you look for
inconsistencies, you'll find them. How can you
not? Just think about how many files, modes,
packages, and so on Emacs consists of, and how
many different people worked on it for decades.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573