Re: 26.1.92, 26.1-mac-7.4; unrecognised escaped chars in *Help*

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 26.1.92, 26.1-mac-7.4; unrecognised escaped chars in *Help*
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2019 18:13:54 +0200

> From: Van L <van@scratch.space>
> Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2019 11:47:29 +1100
>
> >> \200 .. 3FF_F7F    self-insert-command
> >> \200 .. \377       self-insert-command
> >
> > Yes.  This is admittedly confusing, although 100% correct.
>
> But. But. But. Less than 100% beautiful. The out of ASCII range row
> terminated by unprintables as visually balanced hex values in a box
> would look and feel nicer.

This just uses the default Emacs display of these characters.
Producing some fancy alternatives might be source of a different kind
of confusion ("why does 'C-h b' show the characters differently than
what they look like in my buffers?").

> "C-u C-x =" or M-x describe-char RET puts them in
>
>     category: l:Latin
>     category: L:Left-to-right (strong)

You are looking at the wrong parts.  Look at the "charset" part.

> Should I file a bug report for copy and paste inconsistency when trying
> to collect in one buffer the `M-x describe-char' output? for the above two.

What inconsistency is that?

> Highlight region then M-w C-y fails

Fails how?  It didn't fail for me.

> Select one of the safe coding systems listed below,
> or cancel the writing with C-g and edit the buffer
>    to remove or modify the problematic characters,
> or specify any other coding system (and risk losing
>    the problematic characters).
>
>   raw-text no-conversion

That's because you have raw bytes in the buffer.