Building and using Emacs.app with gnustep

From: mickbert
Subject: Building and using Emacs.app with gnustep
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2019 11:48:06 +0100

Hello.
I am testing the gnustep form of emacs, but I have too much troubles to really use it.

Very latest gnustep framework taken from github, and latest version of Emacs sources (from last summer, if I remember well), running on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.5 (Maipo) 64bits server.

  ./configure --with-ns
  make
  make install

Than copied nextstep/Emacs.app to /usr/local/lib/GNUstep/Applications. Than launch it with openapp Emacs.

The first issue I see is a flickering of the main with almost any operation (like switching buffer, killing or yanking text, etc...). Than the process is very unstable, crashing quite often on segmentation fault, or on an unhandled exception, but always related to main menu management, due to an invalid pointer to NSMenu objects.

Anyone else using gnustep form of emacs? Anyone else experiencing similar issue?

--
Mick