Re: Most used words in current buffer

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: Most used words in current buffer
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 20:26:30 -0400

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> I have two stories that I find funny about ed.  This one happened in
> the last week.  A friend at a meetup had a problem with his Ubuntu
> laptop.  His GUI was broken and needed a small file fix.  This person
> uses the GUI for everything and had no terminal editors installed, as
> far as I could tell.  Not vi, vim, nor emacs nor other.  Of course
> this person's normal GUI editors were unavailable without X running.
> But strangely 'ed' *was* installed.  I don't use Ubuntu but I guess it
> got installed by default there.  Or something pulled it in.  I have no
> idea.
>
> I think you can already tell where this is going.  I used ed to edit
> and fix things.  Being able to use it appeared like magic to this
> person who couldn't imagine you could edit something without a mouse.

A friend (an avid vim user) was watching over my shoulder while I was
trying to do something (in emacs of course) and had to edit /etc/fstab
or something.  I was in an emacs shell at the time, so I did 'sudo ed
/etc/fstab' and did my edit (and yes, I know and use tramp most of the
time). The idea of running ed from the shell from within emacs was too
much for him: he was laughing for hours!

And yes, I install ed whenever I set up a new machine: for just those
occasions :-)

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler