Re: Password prompt inside Emacs with epg-gpg-program -> "gpg2"?

From: Joakim Jalap
Subject: Re: Password prompt inside Emacs with epg-gpg-program -> "gpg2"?
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 20:07:38 +0100

> Same on Debian obviously.

Yeah, nobody seems to like it, I guess the only reason they still keep
it around is because of Emacs' special status in the GNU project.

> Is it bad to get "Emacs in contact with the password", do I lose
> security (question to all)?  The main advantage of pinentry seems to be
> that it avoids to leave a password in the swap partition.
>
> Is using pinentry via pinentry.el in Emacs similarly secure as using a
> different pinentry dialog?

There's some discussion on the matter here:

https://bugs.gnupg.org/gnupg/issue2034

I don't really care too much about security anyway, I'm more on the
level of "if I forget my laptop on the tube all my passwords shouldn't
be out in the open". So as long as they are in an encrypted file that's
all I ask :)

> Michael.

Joakim