Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: Emacs Book Vs Emacs Manuals
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 20:45:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Sunday, June 28, 2015 at 4:19:41 AM UTC+5:30, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> MBR  writes:
>
> > Another approach when dealing with things that line
> > up visually in columns, is Emacs' rectangle
> > commands. Using the same LaTeX table:
> >
> > \begin{longtable}
> >    1 & 2 & 3 & 4 \\\\
> >    a & b & c & d \\\\
> >    A & B & C & D
> > \end{longtable}
> >
> > Position mark on the "3" in line 2 and point on the
> > "D" in line 4. Now type:
> >
> >     C-x r k
>
> :)
>
> Yeah, that's good. That's the best so far.

IMHO Bob Proulx's 'interactivity' + 'shape' is key.

Shape: REs are strong
Interactivity : Vanilla emacs rules
Combo : Macros are good

Earlier I only glanced that this example; did not try it.
Now that I see it is a clear case of rect commands, column editing mode beats
the pants off classic rect commands -- because of interactivity
https://vimeo.com/1168225

[Hope that's the right video -- my flashplayer not working right now]