Re: doc-view.el --- View PDF/PostStript/DVI files in Emacs

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: doc-view.el --- View PDF/PostStript/DVI files in Emacs
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 18:55:55 +0200

Martin Rubey <axiomize@yahoo.de> writes:

Hi Martin,

> In particular, I'd like to be able to search and copy text as in kdvi
> / kpdf.

The problem is that you can only embed images like jpeg or png is emacs
buffers and then it's hard if not impossible to extract any text.

> Furthermore, rendering should be fast, so that modifying the LaTeX and
> pressing C-c C-c Ret should update the buffer quickly.

Did you try AUCTeX with its preview-latex?  That will to what you want.

> I wonder why this is appears so difficult to achieve.  Wouldn't it be
> possible to have an X application running inside an emacs buffer?

As far as I know that's not possible.

> The standard application for me would be to have my LaTeX source in
> one buffer, kdvi in another, and C-x b gets me to that buffer.  Using
> the window-managers keybinding for switching to another application
> really does only half the job, it's just not "as nice"...
>
> I saw the xwem project a while ago, but it looks roughly dead,

Well, I think it's not dead but finished.  It seems to do everything its
users want.

> does more than I need and moreover it doesn't work for gnu emacs...

Yeah.  Somebody should write a foreign function interface for GNU
Emacs...

> Well, still, doc-view is quite nice,

Thanks.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
People sometimes  ask me if it  is a sin in  the Church of  Emacs to use
vi. Using a free  version of vi is not a sin; it  is a penance. So happy