Using different fonts depending on character set

From: Paul Moore
Subject: Using different fonts depending on character set
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:59:46 +0100

Emacs 21.3 on Windows, No Gnus from CVS. For 99.99% of my email/news I
get ASCII (or maybe latin-1) text, and I use the default Courier New
font. However, just occasionally, I get messages with odd characters -
often encoded in UTF-8, not always using characters available in
Courier New. For example, I recently saw a message with a short piece
of Japanese text - the rest was basically ASCII.

Is there a way to set a different font which can be used for such "out
of range" characters? I'd have though not, and yet my email at work
(Outlook - ack, spit) managed to switch fonts just for the Japanese
message (it switched for the whole message, not just for the Japanese
characters, but that's OK).

This is a very minor issue (after all, it's extremely rare that I get
mail like this, other than spam) but it's a matter of pride - I don't
like to think that Outlook can do something that Gnus can't!

I suspect this is more of an Emacs question than a Gnus one, hence the
crosspost. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul.
--
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation -- Saki