Re: Slickedit features in Emacs?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Slickedit features in Emacs?
Date: 21 May 2003 20:08:57 +0100

  Henrik> I just was on a demo for Visual SlickEdit here at my
  Henrik> company. I am impressed.  My initial question was of course
  Henrik> if the functions in Slickedit exists in emacs. Some of them
  Henrik> exists I know.

  Henrik> * Autocompletion of expressions. When the user write "if "
  Henrik>   it expands
  Henrik> automatically into a full if template. Can this be done with
  Henrik> skeletons?

There are several different ways of doing this within emacs, including
tempo and skeleton. JDE does this out of the box for java.

  Henrik> * "Intellisense". I know that semantic can do something like
  Henrik>   this, but
  Henrik> does it work for everyday use? Has anyone tried it?

Again the Java version of this works out of the box with JDE. My own
experience with the full semantic version suggests that its not ready
for every day use yet, but I hope that it will become so.

Although my experience with Java is that dynamic abbreviation
expansion works as well in most circumstances and is quicker.

  Henrik> * Dynamic Tagging. Go to the function declaration etc. I
  Henrik>   haven't used
  Henrik> tags that much.

Again there are many facilities for doing this sort of navigation.

  Henrik> I don't want to abandon emacs because I use it for calendar,
  Henrik> diary, notes, etc. But for programming Slickedit is very
  Henrik> interresting.

I always thought it looked good, but start up costs of learning
something new are always large. I tend to stick with emacs, because of
its breadth (the number of things it supports) rather than its depth
(how well it supports each).

Cheers

Phil