Re: Slickedit features in Emacs?

From: Peter Lee
Subject: Re: Slickedit features in Emacs?
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 19:34:26 GMT

    Henrik> I just was on a demo for Visual SlickEdit here at my
    Henrik> company. I am impressed.  My initial question was of
    Henrik> course if the functions in Slickedit exists in emacs. Some
    Henrik> of them exists I know.

    Henrik> * Autocompletion of expressions. When the user write "if "
    Henrik> it expands automatically into a full if template. Can this
    Henrik> be done with skeletons?

    Henrik> * "Intellisense". I know that semantic can do something
    Henrik> like this, but does it work for everyday use? Has anyone
    Henrik> tried it?

I don't use either of the above two things in emacs so I won't comment
on them (but I'm fairly certain autocompletions - aliases in slickedit -
are doable in emacs.

    Henrik> * Dynamic Tagging. Go to the function declaration etc. I
    Henrik> haven't used tags that much.

I do use ctags.  It's not dynamic like it is with slickedit however
(although I'm sure someone smarter than me could find a hook to make
it so).

    Henrik> I don't want to abandon emacs because I use it for
    Henrik> calendar, diary, notes, etc. But for programming Slickedit
    Henrik> is very interresting.

I used Slickedit for about 2 and a half years.  It has some nice
features for programmers.  The things I miss are intellisense and the
dynamic tagging.  The things I don't miss are the excruciatingly slow
load times of large workspaces, the occasional crashes,
buggy inconsistencies in tag file creation, the slick-c language, the
performance price you paid for dynamic tagging on large workspaces, and
of course the hefty price tag.

Towards the end of my time with slickedit I was using WTL quite
heavily and the intellisense didn't work well with it, so with the
primary reason I was willing to dish out $$ gone, I decided to learn
Emacs.

I'm quite happy now with Emacs and couldn't see myself ever using any
other editor.

Your mileage may vary of course.