Re: Map a 'responsible' name to multiple addresses?

From: Edward Jaffe
Subject: Re: Map a 'responsible' name to multiple addresses?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:41:37 -0800

Jo A Wahle wrote:

Several of our projects like to have the category's default 'responsible' be a general name like 'such-and-such-project-lead', then if the lead also wears a developer's hat, the "real" person may be assigned the PR for development - it shows quickly which PRs are actually in the hands of developers and which ones are in the lead's lap. I have one project that would like to have that general name map to two e-mail addresses, so I tried it - in the 'responsible' file, I defined
some-project-lead:Some Project Lead:address@hidden,address@hidden
And it looks like it works, except that it put the two addresses twice in the To: field of the e-mail:
To: address@hidden,address@hidden,address@hidden,address@hidden
Any thoughts?

We created some "responsible" names to represent a team (e.g., support_productx) and use the alias function on our mail server to ensure that email sent to this "fake" name gets resolved into a list of valid email addresses. That way, the whole team gets all notifications, but the customer can't see which addresses are on the list. The downside to our approach is that the mapping is maintained outside of GNATS. But, it works for us...

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc