invisible gnats

From: dc
Subject: invisible gnats
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 16:08:27 -0500

invisible gnats
Where might I find information on gnats so small they cannot be seen with the naked eye, except while is flight with light reflecting off their wings?

They do not bite, like a "no-seeum", but are bad about attacking human eyes. They seem to get thru closed windows.

I have tried 100% deet, lemon grass oil, peppermint oil, gnatrol (on the outside), and can not seem to get rid of them.

I am in the process of ordering timed pyrethrin spray for several rooms in the house, and am considering ordering black predatory ladybugs, predatory nematodes, and predatory mites for all of the outdoor areas.

So that you can tell the smallness of these creatures, I will give one example that seems almost impossible. One night, after using an antibiotic drops in both eyes an laying down to sleep, actually had one of them crawl through my tear duct into my throat. Sounds morbid, but true. I presume they have blood gills, because they are able to stay in around the tear ducts and under the eye lid. When I blind rapidly and roll my eyes, they are moved around, and sometime their legs feel like briny, like very small cockle burs.

Oh, and they can be faked out to fly out, when an object is moved toward and away from the eye, but they generally come right back. Sometime when this is done, I can feel them hit my cheek, or arm or leg. I suppose they are in a panic flying out without navigation in mind.
donjr (click)