Re: Access level problem on gnats 4.0

From: Mel Hatzis
Subject: Re: Access level problem on gnats 4.0
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:13:29 -0800

Evan, ...

On 02/11/2004 02:27 AM, Evan Lavelle submitted:
Thanks Mel/Hans-Albert - some more info below. I thought I had fixed the access problem with the extra ':' in my user_access, but this actually made no difference.

I've got one local test database, on the same machine as the server. '/usr/local/etc/gnats/databases' contains:

default:Bug database:/usr/local/com/gnatsdb
test:test database:/home/evan/work/test/gnatsdb

I've got one host_access file, and three user_access files, in these locations:

/usr/local/etc/gnats/defaults/gnatsd.user_access (this is empty)
/usr/local/etc/gnats/gnatsd.host_access
/usr/local/com/gnatsdb/gnats-adm/gnatsd.user_access
/home/evan/work/test/gnatsdb/gnats-adm/gnatsd.user_access

This is an entirely reasonable setup....providing of course that
the files are readable by the user running gnatsd.

'host_access' contains:

[canonical-name]:admin:
*:none:

The above looks good....with one caveat. If you wish to run gnatsd
by hand (as appears to be the case), you should add an entry for
"stdin". So, your host_access file should contain:

[canonical-name]:admin:
stdin:admin:
*:none:

I think this might be causing problem #1.

[canonical-name] is my machine's full name from /etc/hosts; using either the short name or 'localhost', or removing this line completely, makes no difference.

The two 'user_access' files currently contain:

evan:$0$evan:admin:
*::none:

The "none" entry is invalid. Try replacing it with:

*:$0$:none:

I then set GNATSDB to 'test'. With this setup, I can use send-pr to create a problem report in the 'test' database, and I can use query-pr to view it, and edit-pr to edit it. I know that it's my local test database, because 'query-pr --database test 1' shows the PR, but 'query-pr --database default 1' shows nothing.

PROBLEMS:
---------

1) If I restart xinetd, and then run 'gnatsd' to administer the test database, I can't get any permission above 'none':

evan 113 > gnatsd
200 [canonical-name] GNATS server 4.0 ready.
USER evan evan
210-Now accessing GNATS database 'test'
210 User access level set to 'none'

I've tried different passwords, including none, and it makes no difference.

2) If I now login as another user (gnats), I can *still* edit the test database using edit-pr. The permissions from the two access files appear to be ignored when using edit-pr, send-pr, etc.

Where are you logging in from? If it's from your "canonical-name" host,
you are essentially granting "admin" access since your user_access file
is ignored because of the missing "$0$" in the entry for "none".

Hope this helps.

--
Mel Hatzis